Security management training
La Cooperativa Humanitaria is composed by a team of professional aid workers able to design and implement different kind of security management trainings addressed to managers’ responsible for the security of humanitarian teams.
To empower and train humanitarian aid workers with responsibility on their team security management for the development of a security plan and resources for its acceptance within the team.
Content and length of each training will be defined according to the needs, operational strategies and policies of each humanitarian organization.
The core training, with 3 days of duration, is based on the study of different contexts and incidents known by La Cooperativa Humanitaria team towards the development of a security plan that includes a humanitarian work nature, the information sources required for its development and its update and the essential cultural elements of the organization itself.
This basic security management training includes the following subjects:
- Introduction to security management cycle. Consequences, advantages and weaknesses of different models.
- Security strategies and their consequences. Adjustments the culture of each organization.
- Context analysis. Tools for analysis and actor mapping.
- Risk management. Tools for threat and vulnerability analysis. Risk mitigation.
- Specific risks related to travel and transport. Development of Standard Operational Procedures.
- Specific risks related to headquarters and buildings. Conditions and security controls adapted to context.
- Specific risks related to kidnapping and hostage taking.
- Evacuation plan. Preparedness and implementation of teams and medical evacuation.
- Stress management and trauma. Tools for its identification and management within the teams.
- Duty of care towards the staff and legal responsibility related to security management.
There is a longer version of five-day duration which includes the critical incidents management dealing with the essential matters such as organizational internal procedures, families' management or press relation.
The methodologies defined and used are based on experience learning, with the principles of horizontality and involvement in order to encourage active participation and engagement from the students.
All facilitators from La Cooperativa Humanitaria are willing to share their knowledge and experience acquired in the field with all participants in order to boost significant learning and get the student actively engaged in his/her learning experience.
While designing and implementing all our security management trainings, we aim for the maximum training quality and facilitate new knowledge acquirement. This is the main objective which leads us to integrate different learning methods including:
- Case studies based on real humanitarian emergencies and own experiences
- Group discussions
- Simulations or demonstrations
- Role plays
- Skill practices in individual and group exercises